Monday, March 2, 2009

Happiness

Photo by Maria.

"Happiness can never be a goal in life,

it is the natural byproduct of a life

full of purpose and meaning."

------------------------

Today I received an email from my sister, Mae regarding perspective. It shows the planets in our solar system and comparing our sun; which is just a speck [or a pixel in your computer monitor] with the other suns in the whole universe!

But what caught my attention was the quote at the end of the message. I Googled as always and found who said it, and the background:

"In January 2009, I watched an Oprah show that I was extremely drawn into, and the guests were unbelievable. I was inspired as the timing was perfect. It was the start of the New Year and "Change".

I went to Oprah to get inspired. I needed some personal stimulus! The richest woman in America can be all bad...or wrong. I can't say that I can tell you much about what her current home page speaks of today or what today's 4:00 show will be about... but I did quickly see information (a recap) from a gentleman who was on that inspiring show last month.

I believe the topic was about taking control of your Happiness. Happiness was most definitely the topic at hand within her Best Life Series for '09. The guest was Rabbi Shmuley. The show had several spiritual and religious leaders on it, however it was more about spirituality than religion.

I read on and remember that show....

One of the Rabbi's quotes was: "Happiness can never be a goal in life-it is the natural byproduct of a life full of purpose and meaning."

The Rabbi went on to say...Stop focusing on your happiness. Focus instead on whether your life is full, rewarding and meaningful. Other key points include:

Surround yourself with a structure of selflessness. Find joy in a life of service, he says. "Giving your love to people and focusing on others will naturally bring happiness into your life"

..."Foster creativity, promote teamwork and mentor others-rewards and promotions will come along in due time."

Bring spirituality into your daily life. Try meditating, attending church or praying. Spirituality doesn't always have to do with religion, he says.

Spend more time "being" than "doing." "A great way to do this is spending time with your kids playing and goofing around and just enjoying spending time together."

Laugh at yourself a little."Try not to be critical of yourself, and celebrate your everyday successes," Rabbi Shmuley says.

You know I just had to know what Wikipedia says, so in a flash here it was: Happiness is a state of mind or feeling such as contentment, satisfaction, pleasure, or joy. [1] A variety of philosophical, religious, psychological and biological approaches have been taken to defining happiness and identifying its sources. Philosophers and religious thinkers have often defined happiness in terms of living a good life, or flourishing, rather than simply as an emotion. Happiness in this older sense was used to translate the Greek Eudaimonia, and is still used in virtue ethics.

I will now take time to meditate on this all- a break in my day. Perhaps it is only me that sees a connect-the- dots pattern between the two terms of stimulus and happiness as we move forward into 2009. How are they different and also alike, in meaning?? "Change" is in the air- I feel it!

We all need to take a step back.... see where we have been and were we are going.... and what is important to us, what we want for our families, and how we can be a positive force in our workplace and our community."

Post by Pam Oster on Happiness and Stimulus.

3 comments:

FilMasons NSW said...

Good one Mar, you know I kept reading about this in a big scale, sometimes although I am really [not]into science and in correlations with the universe, it blows my mind...I kept searching Mar, and it is amazing to know that I am just a tiny dot in the Universe but without this tiny "me" and if it not acting the way it supposed to be in connection with everything else in the Universe....it will tilt....can you imagine that?....Yup I am very humbled by that. I love you...and thanks we are on the same page with whatever it is you are looking for too.... in spirit.....Noi...

FilMasons NSW said...

Hi Noi, I do hope you also read the post in my other blog [see link below, I've used one of Les pictures -- ;( ... ].

You are right, the vastness of the universe and the wonders of nature can be humbling, but at the same token - however small we are in the scale of things, our lives [and that of other creatures] matters because of the purpose and meaning we put into it!

Namaste!

FilMasons NSW said...

Moderator's note: Noi's comment should have read... "I am really into science... " Please disregard the [not]... my mistake, sorry Noi.